geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <>
Subject Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 19:29:22 GMT
Jason Dillon wrote:
> On May 13, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>> Right I was running 2 very beefy machines manually in a dedicated
>> fashion with no automation.  If we want something to share, multiple
>> VM images, and multiple concurrent tests then it would need to be a
>> bit more robust than what I was using.  So I was planning to ask for 4
>> multi-core machines (need to do some research on CPU capacity) and 3-4
>> GB RAM each.  I'll include that we could get by with just 2 machines
>> for a time while we work out the automation/sharing issues.
>> I sent a note asking for some clarification on what they are looking
>> for in a proposal and an example (if available).  I'd like for
>> whatever we request to be in line with most of their other systems in
>> terms of OS level/version, VM software, etc...  so that we can avoid
>> the "one off" issue they list while still getting a system that can
>> support our testing needs.
> What happened to the AMD systems which were heating up my apartment last
> year?  2 4x (dual core) 16g machines with nice RAID cards, etc... ?

I'm not sure where those are at but I'm sure we can track them down.
Another bit of criteria that I learned for ASF hosted machines is that
they must be rack-mountable and have "lights-out management"
LOMs.  Is that the case for your apartment heating machines?

We'll probably want more something like 8-core machines (or possibly
4-core).  I was hoping for 3-4 GB per core ... but we might have to
settle for closer to 2 as Donald suggested.  I'm not really sure what
the limits on RAM are for these types of machines.

View raw message