geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Release process questions
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 03:05:12 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On May 12, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> Joe Bohn wrote:

>>> Ah ... ok.  The wiki mentioned that we should avoid the complexity of
>>> releasing from branches in favor of releasing from trunk.  I took
>>> this too literally.  IIUC the intent is that we should not be
>>> creating a temporary branch just to later convert it to a tag for a
>>> release.

>>> Ok, I'll give that a shot.

>>> This is the same process that we followed with 2.1.  I'll dig into
>>> the details of specifying the releases rather than allowing the
>>> defaults that bump up the version number of the release by 1.

>> Actually, I did think of one addition concern with our current
>> numbering and using the maven release plugin.  If we only use 2 digit
>> version numbers for major releases then we would end up with tags/2.2
>> and branches/2.2.   This may be a point of confusion when looking at
>> our svn repos (and I suspect the reason that we have tags/2.1.0 rather
>> than tags/2.1 right now).  NOTE:  I have not yet looked into the how
>> the version is specified with the maven-release-plugin.  Perhaps we
>> can specify the release version and the tag version independently in
>> which case I could name the appropriately via the plugin.
>>

> Wouldn't we end up with server/branches/2.2 and
> server/tags/geronimo-parent-2.2?  These seem sufficiently distinct to me
> to avoid confusion.

hmmm .... now I'm confused.  What is server/tags/geronimo-parent and why
would it replace server/tags/2.2?

Actually, since this is really a discussion about samples, how would we
not end up with samples/branches/2.1 and samples/tags/2.1 (where the
branches continually used for 2.1.x releases and tags is the 2.1
release) if there is not a way to specify the artifact release version
independently from the tag release version?  What am I missing?

I suspect the naming issue is why we named the tag sever/tags/2.1.0 when
we released Geronimo 2.1 so that the tag would have a different version
number from the branch that was to continue, server/branches/2.1.

Joe