geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Yoko ORB subproject 1.0
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 14:33:08 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:
> I'm seeing problems that need to be addressed.
>
> RAT shows the following files are missing Apache src license headers:
>
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/distribution/src/main/samples/ws/bank_ws_addressing/BankWS-corba.idl
>  =======================================================================
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/distribution/src/main/samples/ws/bank_ws_addressing/BankWS-corba.wsdl
>  =======================================================================
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/etc/third_party_licenses/CDDL-license.txt
>  =======================================================================
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/etc/third_party_licenses/antlr-bsd-license.txt
>  =======================================================================
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/etc/third_party_licenses/wsdl4j-cpl-license.txt
>  =======================================================================
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/rmi-impl/pom.xml
>  =======================================================================
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/rmi-spec/pom.xml
>  =======================================================================
>  =======================================================================
>  ==./yoko-1.0/yoko-spec-corba/pom.xml
>  =======================================================================
>
> The third_party_licenses files wouldn't need license headers, of
> course. However, it doesn't look like we're actually including these
> projects in the Yoko binaries. So, I think we should delete these
> license files/directory (and any references to them).
>
> The LICENSE files include the following license information:
>
>    Object Management Group (OMG) classes
>         /***** Copyright (c) 1999 Object Management Group. Unlimited
> rights to
>          duplicate and use this code are hereby granted provided that this
>          copyright notice is included.
>         *****/
>
> I note that files such
> as yoko-1.0/yoko-spec-corba/src/main/java/org/omg/Messaging/MaxHopsPolicyHelper.java

> have an Apache src license header. Personally, I think they should not
> have an Apache src license header. These files are not Apache
> licensed, they are OMG licensed. Perhaps there's been discussion of
> this, in the past that you can point me to?
Not sure I understand why you wouldn't expect to find the Apache source
license here.  This is the Apache implementation of an OMG defined
class.  The OMG does not make any java classes available to
implementers, just the IDL that can be used to generate the different
language bindings.  Any java source files in that directory are part of
the apache implementation.  Some of the files are unchanged from the IDL
emitted skeltons, others have significant logic within.  I don't see how
the generated ones are any different than what we have in other spec
projects that provide just interface classes.

Rick