geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why no Debian package of Geronimo
Date Sat, 17 May 2008 21:07:29 GMT

On May 17, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 10:36 AM, jontto <jontto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I could not find a Debian package of Geronimo, is there any
>> particular
>> reason for this or has it just not got done yet?
>
> The latter is the answer I guess. Nobody took care of it yet. Would
> you mind? Report a task in JIRA and work on it.

I'd like to know what this involves and why this is a good idea before
anyone spends much time on it.  I don't think we want to encourage
anyone to adopt a non-standard server layout without a good reason,
and without this I'd expect any packaging to consist of the tar.gz
server distro.  Now there's the question, which one..... we have about
5 now.

I guess something that almost makes sense to be would be a "server
construction kit" consisting of a geronimo plugin repository together
with the framework server so that you could assemble servers of your
choice.  I think this is pretty different in philosophy from most
debian packages however.

thanks
david jencks