That looks ludicrously overengineered to me.

I start with an up to date copy of geronimo, frequently with my own local uncommitted changes in other parts of geronimo, apply the patch, fix conflicts, make sure it works, improve the patch if I see problems, and commit the code relevant to the patch.  If the patch is in an area that I'm also working on I use a cleaner copy of geronimo instead of my main working copy.

thanks
david jencks