geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Geronimo server/trunk is now using SLF4J
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:15:49 GMT
I've just committed my changes to used SLF4J as the primary logging
facade for server/trunk.

Commons logging should be completely gone now.  For dependencies which
use JCL, we are using the jcl104-over-slf4j adapter which provides the
JCL API and tunnels it through SLF4J.

I still need to hook up the -vvvv stuff to turn up the verbosity,
might get to that tonight.  Otherwise, looks like things most just
work as they did before.

  * * *

Now the thing to do is to start cleaning up logging code to make use
of SLF4J's more elegant API.  Thats primarily the varargs methods and
{} substing magic it has.  So something like this:

     if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
         log.debug("This is foo: " + foo + ", this is bar: " + bar);
     }

becomes simply:

     log.debug("This is foo: {}, this is bar: {}", foo, bar);

  * * *

We are still using Log4j as the underlying logging provider, which
SLF4J delegates to.  I did however nuke the caching bits, and we no
longer have any special bootstrap logging stuff.  Just a
log4j.properties in geronimo-cli which provides the bootstrap log4j
configuration used before the Log4jService boots up.

  * * *

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Cheers,

--jason