geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Documentation woes
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:50:01 GMT
I think there is a major and unacceptable problem with the indexing
of the current 2.1 docs.  Some time ago I implemented a little
feature for app-specific log4j configuration and actually wrote up
some instructions on how to use it.  Today I wanted to see what I had
written and discovered that while it's possible to find using google
search it isn't really possible to find from the top level
documentation page.

It ain't here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/documentation.html

There are a whole lotta unwritten topics listed under Development and
deployment planning, but not mine!

If you click the link... you do get http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/
development-and-deployment-planning.html which has my little
contribution.

Perhaps I'm overreacting but this seems like an enormous problem to
me.  I'd far prefer that all the index pages be generated
automatically from the page hierarchy even if this means the entries
show up an a more random (alphabetical?) order as long as the indices
are complete and up to date.  I don't really get much from little
green check marks when content that someone has actually gone to the
trouble to write is not reflected and easily accessible.

thanks
david jencks