geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] setting svn:ignore properties
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:36:20 GMT
I agree that the current situation is bad.  I would like to resolve
it by:
- removing all custom svn:ignore properties
- providing some documentation on setting up your global ignores
- making sure that we don't require any non-standard svn:ignore

Here's why:

- having to set up svn:ignore for a new project is too hard.  I never
remember :-).  Anyone using maven needs to have target in their
global svn ignores anyway.
- you need global svn ignores anyway for the IDE-specific files
like .ipr for IDEA.  Our checked-in svn:ignore settings definitely
should not cater to any particular IDE
- basic maven hygiene requires that everything except such IDE files
and target be checked in.

david jencks

On Apr 16, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Vasily Zakharov wrote:

> Hi, all,
> I've noticed that in many places in Geronimo repository the files and
> subdirectories generated by build scripts are put to svn:ignore
> properties of the corresponding directories, so that they do not get
> in the way when checking a working copy status and preparing a
> patch/commit.
> However in some other (newer?) places the build-generated files and
> subdirectories are not being added to svn:ignore properties.
> I think that it worths to have a consistent policy in this matter.
> Personally, I think that it makes sense to add all the known
> build-generated files and directories to the corresponding local
> svn:ignore, as svn:ignore idea is to mark the files and directories
> that are not going to be committed to repository. So if our build
> generates something somewhere and we know that it generates that, and
> we know we're not going to commit that (like 'build', 'target'
> directories, log files etc.) - let's mark it so.
> On the other hand, one can configure his own ~/.subversion/config
> [global-ignores] property to ignore some file patterns throughout the
> whole repository. However, this approach is good for some personal
> settings, and it has its disadvantages: first, it's needed to be done
> by each developer; second, it creates a risk of hiding some important
> files being hidden by some global wildcard; third, it's a global-only
> setting that can't go into details of particular build parts. Using
> local svn:ignore properties looks preferable as it only covers the
> particular files in particular directory.
> What would you people say?
> There's an issue created with proposed patches on this issue, it's
> Also, this issue already had some intensive discussions since a year
> ago, please check them also:
> Thanks!
> Vasily

View raw message