geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] setting svn:ignore properties
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:36:20 GMT
I agree that the current situation is bad.  I would like to resolve
it by:
- removing all custom svn:ignore properties
- providing some documentation on setting up your global ignores
- making sure that we don't require any non-standard svn:ignore
settings.

Here's why:

- having to set up svn:ignore for a new project is too hard.  I never
remember :-).  Anyone using maven needs to have target in their
global svn ignores anyway.
- you need global svn ignores anyway for the IDE-specific files
like .ipr for IDEA.  Our checked-in svn:ignore settings definitely
should not cater to any particular IDE
- basic maven hygiene requires that everything except such IDE files
and target be checked in.

thanks
david jencks