geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.1.1 RELEASE-NOTE & README questions.
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:04:16 GMT
Joe Bohn wrote:
> 1) I've noticed that we actually have 2 RELEASE_NOTES-2.1.txt files in
> our source.  They are both identical.   One is in our root ...
> branches/2.1.1/RELEASE-NOTES-2.1.txt.  The other is
> branches/2.1.1/assemblies/geronimo-boilerplate-minimal/src/main/underlay/RELEASE_NOTES-2.1.txt.

>  Are both of these necessary?  If not, which one is really required?
> 2) How elaborate do the release notes need to be for a maintenance
> release like 2.1.1?  For example, our 2.1 release notes included a list
> of enhancements explaining each.  I was just planning to list the JIRAs
> that were included in the release since most items are bug fixes and
> remove the 2.1 enhancement content.  Is that sufficient and what we have
> done in the past?

If it is only bug fixes then that should be the focus, no need to include the "Geronimo 2.1
Enhancements" again I guess.
We need to make sure we clearly mention this is a maintenance release and that no new functionality
has been introduced

> 3) Why is the version number in the name?  I assume that I need to
> rename the current one to reflect that this is 2.1.1 ... but it might be
> better to just remove the version number completely when I rename it.

For one, it help us develop/maintain the release notes in the wiki (can't have 2 files with
the same name).
Second, I guess it's the fastest way to know the installed version. Specially when you have
multiple installs and have been chopping the <geronimo_home> directory to single characters
to run "worry free" on certain platform ;-)

> README.txt:
> 4) As with the RELEASE_NOTES we also have 2 instances of the README.txt
> file in our source.  One is in our root  ... branches/2.1.1/README.txt.
>  The other is
> branches/2.1.1/assemblies/geronimo-boilerplate-minimal/src/main/underlay/README.txt.

>  There is one minor difference between the 2 files.  Are both of these
> necessary and if not, which one is required?
> Thanks,
> Joe

View raw message