geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] genesis 1.4 take 3 (cancelled)
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:51:57 GMT

On Mar 10, 2008, at 2:22 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2008, at 10:50 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> We'll get to take 5 yet!
>>
>> Problems identified so far:
>>
>> - version of legal-bundle needs to be fixed not variable in project-
>> config/pom
> fixed, although I'm not sure what releasing will do.
>> - tools plugin verifier is looking for LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
>> but we are supplying LICENSE and NOTICE
> See below.
>> - velocity complaints noted by jdillon
> fixed
>> - in the generated website there are no parent links.  On the other
>> hand I can't find them in any other maven generated website either
>> so it might not be our fault.
> Anyone have a clue?  I don't and don't want to spend more time on
> this.
>>
>> I'm also thinking of including the rat plugin and wondering if we
>> need the legal verifier as well?  I don't think rat produces
>> failures but does do more extensive checks.
> added for manual runs.  Rat does fail the build but I don't think it
> checks inside jars and it doesn't know about a lot of the generated
> files.  I don't know if it can be taught.
>
> What I'm not sure about is how to deal with the name change in
> default license/notice files.  One solution is to change the
> hardcoded default values in the plugin.  I'd like to do this unless
> someone (jdillon?) objects.  Another is to change the generated file
> names.  I'd rather not do this as it takes us farther from the maven
> "standard" for no good reason I can see.  We could also override the
> defaults in either project-config or each individual top-level child
> project.
>
> Preferences anyone?

I think generated LICENSE/NOTICE files are fine. I believe they are
the preferred forms, although .txt files are permitted. AFAIK, the
only reason we've continued to use .txt is historical (why change, if
it's valid?). This seems like a good motivation to switch to LICENSE
and NOTICE. I think either form should be permitted/checked for by the
verifier plugin. I'm not sure if that's what you're proposing will
permit either forms. I'd prefer we permit either alternative, but will
sleep just fine if it requires LICENSE/NOTICE.

I think we need to keep legal verifier.

--kevan