geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Indent 2 spaces in xml and vm files to match more common usage, especially maven.
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 01:39:05 GMT
-0

I find 2 space indenting difficult to read.  I'm sure that I'm
misunderstanding something so take my reply with a grain of salt.

On Mar 13, 2008, at 8:28 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> -1.  I don't think there is any value in making the indent for xml
>> or any other files different than the normal indent for all other
>> files.
>
> Let me give a couple of examples where the 4-space indent causes a
> lot of pain and will continue to:
>
> - in genesis geronimo-skin we have a site.vm file that is a slightly
> modified copy of the default .vm file from doxia-sitetools.  Trying
> to update it or compare it with different indents is quite an
> experience.

I'm not terribly familiar w/ site generation.  I was under the
impression that we leave cookies by the wiki and elves make it.  :)

Could we not just reformat the site.vm file to have 4 space indents?

> - maven archetypes pop out xml with 2 space indenting, and maven xml
> has 2 space indenting.  Re-indenting our stuff any time you run an
> archetype or borrow some configuration from maven is a nuisance that
> frequently is ignored and again the spacing difference makes
> comparison quite difficult.

For those of us sensible enough to use IntelliJ, alt-cmd-L makes our
world tidy.  Maybe we could get the archetype generator to take the
number of spaces for an indent as a configuration parameter?