geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Indent 2 spaces in xml and vm files to match more common usage, especially maven.
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:28:13 GMT

On Mar 13, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> -1.  I don't think there is any value in making the indent for xml
> or any other files different than the normal indent for all other
> files.

Let me give a couple of examples where the 4-space indent causes a
lot of pain and will continue to:

- in genesis geronimo-skin we have a site.vm file that is a slightly
modified copy of the default .vm file from doxia-sitetools.  Trying
to update it or compare it with different indents is quite an
experience.
- maven archetypes pop out xml with 2 space indenting, and maven xml
has 2 space indenting.  Re-indenting our stuff any time you run an
archetype or borrow some configuration from maven is a nuisance that
frequently is ignored and again the spacing difference makes
comparison quite difficult.

Do you have an editor that can't deal with different indents for
different file types?

thanks
david jencks