geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of maven-remote-resources-plugin
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:40:32 GMT

On Mar 8, 2008, at 1:09 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> There's been a bunch of discussion on legal-discuss recently about
> exactly what should be in the license and notice files and after
> looking over the remote-resource-plugin I think we could use it to
> provide correct and useful information by doing the following:
>

> 1. Produce 3 files: LICENSE, NOTICE, and DEPENDENCIES (new)
> 2. The standard LICENSE and NOTICE files would be ALv2 and the
> standard NOTICE (with ".vm" appended to the file name).  No
> processing except date range if appropriate.
> 3. Additional licenses and notices need to be ascertained by hand
> and files containing these additions put in src/main/appended-
> resources.  For instance src/main/appended-resources/LICENSE and src/
> main/appended-resources/NOTICE
> 4. In addition, for the convenience of our users, we provide a list
> of transitive dependencies with origin.  This would be pretty
> similar to what the standard resource bundle puts into the NOTICE
> file.
>
> 5. genesis would be modified to use this plugin and this bundle by
> default.
>
> David Blevins has a dependencies plugin at codehaus/swizzle that
> provides hierarchy information by indenting but doesn't seem to
> provide provenance.  At this point I think I'd prefer the provenance
> info to the  indentation.  If someone has an idea about how to get
> both easily I'm all ears.
>
> I'd prefer it if there was an easy way to roll up NOTICES and
> LICENSES for projects that physically include jars from other
> projects (such as our servers and jee applications and plugins) but
> I think that leaving that capability to future developments in the m-
> r-r-p might be wise.
>
> I'm having some trouble getting the genesis release OK without the m-
> r-r-p so I'd kinda like to get this implemented in the next day or
> two.

Sounds good to me. To make sure I understand...

So, it sounds like this is essentially creating the same information
that we currently have in our geronimo/server (LICENSE and NOTICE
files) and subprojects. Correct? Difference being whitespace/editorial
in nature. As long as we have essentially the same info and aren't
adding the cruft that the m-r-r-p wants to add by default, I think
I'll be fine with this...

IIUC, this proposal means we remove most of the LICENSE and NOTICE
files in our svn (e.g. server/trunk/framework/modules/geronimo-kernel/
LICENSE.txt). The one exception is the LICENSE/NOTICE files in the
root of a src distribution file, which must be maintained in svn, and
perhaps license/notice files in assemblies (perhaps). Some modules and
configs which require additional license/notice info, will have this
info placed in src/main/appended-resources. This information will be
automatically appended to the standard license/notice info. One
example of a module requiring this treatment would be server/trunk/
framework/modules/geronimo-crypto/LICENSE.txt.

I don't really have any objections to a DEPENDENCIES file, but I am
not sure what it adds. It's certainly not a requirement. I'd be
interested to hear how you think it will be used...

--kevan