geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason Warner" <jaw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gshell fails to launch on trunk
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:18:24 GMT
Sorry for the confusion, David.  Responses inline.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 6:54 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Jason Warner wrote:
>
> > I checked out the latest trunk and tried to launch gshell, but
> > found that it failed due to an error in plexus.  The problem seems
> > to be caused by the recent update to using mina 1.1.5.
>
> update of what?

Geronimo trunk has moved from a dependency on mina 1.1.2 to a dependency on
mina 1.1.5.

> > The 1.0-alpha-1 version of gshell that is being used is telling
> > plexus to look for version 1.1.2 of mina-core.  When it doesn't
> > find it, it blows up and the console isn't launched.  This can be
> > fixed by changing the version of mina that it is searching for in
> > the gsh-classworlds.conf file in the etc directory.
>
> Doesn't that mean the the geronimo configuration for gshell is
> specifying mina-core 1.1.2?  How is gshell specifying something else
> as you say above?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking with this but I'll try to answer
anyways.  The version of gshell that is used in trunk currently is
1.0-alpha-1.  The gsh-classworlds.conf file for this version of gshell is
looking for mina 1.1.2.  Geronimo no longer has a dependency on mina 1.1.2.
It is now dependent on mina 1.1.5.  Because of this, Plexus (which attempts
to load the classes specified in gsh-classworlds.conf) crashes on load.

> > What would be the proper fix for this?  1.0-alpha-1 is the latest
> > tag.  It looks like trunk was recently updated to use mina-1.1.6.
>
> trunk of what?

GShell trunk has recently been updated to mina-1.1.6

> >   I imagine we'd have the same problem using a snapshot build of
> > trunk given that there's a version difference.  Is there another
> > way to fix this problem or do we need to move gshell trunk over to
> > 1.1.5 and then include the snapshot build in geronimo trunk?
>
> I don't understand where the problem actually is.  I would start by
> making sure that the version of mina-core that is installed for
> gshell to use is the one specified in etc/sdh-classworlds.conf and
> preferably the same one as in the geronimo repository, if there is
> one.  As long as these are the same I'd expect plexus to be happy.
> Then we can try to figure out what the latest version of mina gshell
> 1.0-alpha-1 can work with.
>
> Maybe I'm missing the problem entirely...
> thanks
> david jencks

Halfway through my responses, I just realized that I'm probably blowing the
problem way out of proportion.  I misunderstood how gshell was assembled in
the server, but I think I understand it now.  At least, I understand it well
enough to point out that this can actually be fixed easily by updating the
gsh-classworlds.conf file in
assemblies/geronimo-boilerplate-minimal/src/main/underlay/etc/ to use
mina-1.1.5.  I can see now why you were so confused, David.  Sorry about
that.

--
~Jason Warner