geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for use of maven-remote-resources-plugin
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:11:34 GMT

On Mar 8, 2008, at 10:09 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> There's been a bunch of discussion on legal-discuss recently about
> exactly what should be in the license and notice files and after
> looking over the remote-resource-plugin I think we could use it to
> provide correct and useful information by doing the following:
>
> 1. Produce 3 files: LICENSE, NOTICE, and DEPENDENCIES (new)
> 2. The standard LICENSE and NOTICE files would be ALv2 and the
> standard NOTICE (with ".vm" appended to the file name).  No
> processing except date range if appropriate.
> 3. Additional licenses and notices need to be ascertained by hand
> and files containing these additions put in src/main/appended-
> resources.  For instance src/main/appended-resources/LICENSE and
> src/main/appended-resources/NOTICE
> 4. In addition, for the convenience of our users, we provide a list
> of transitive dependencies with origin.  This would be pretty
> similar to what the standard resource bundle puts into the NOTICE
> file.
>
> 5. genesis would be modified to use this plugin and this bundle by
> default.
>
> David Blevins has a dependencies plugin at codehaus/swizzle that
> provides hierarchy information by indenting but doesn't seem to
> provide provenance.  At this point I think I'd prefer the
> provenance info to the  indentation.  If someone has an idea about
> how to get both easily I'm all ears.
>
> I'd prefer it if there was an easy way to roll up NOTICES and
> LICENSES for projects that physically include jars from other
> projects (such as our servers and jee applications and plugins) but
> I think that leaving that capability to future developments in the
> m-r-r-p might be wise.
>
> I'm having some trouble getting the genesis release OK without the
> m-r-r-p so I'd kinda like to get this implemented in the next day
> or two.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> thanks
> david jencks

so I have some sample output...

NOTICE for tools-maven-plugin:

Genesis Plugins :: Tools
Copyright 2003-2008 Apache Software Foundation
Apache Software Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

(I seem to have lost the blank lines and can't figure out how to get
them back in)

DEPENDENCIES

// Transitive dependencies of this project determined from the
// maven pom organized by organization.

Genesis Plugins :: Tools