geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Version numbers for plugins of external apps
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 02:04:09 GMT
I thought about this some more and think that I am firmly in favor of A.

1. anything else is going to result in changing the directory name of
the plugin build project using svn cp foo-1.1 foo-1.2 or svn mv
foo-1.1 foo-1.2  when either the source project or geronimo version
changes.  This is just weird.
2. We should work on making sure the plugin catalog and its viewers
can easily show what the dependencies are rather than overloading the
maven artifactId
3. It's entirely possible that a plugin can work with multiple
versions of source project and geronimo.  This won't be the case with
jee source projects since a significant amount of code/info gets
copied into the plugin, but for other plugins this is apt to be a
significant factor.

thanks
david jencks

On Mar 3, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Gianny Damour wrote:

> Maybe I should have said before why I'm inclined to go for B then C
> in this order: My understanding is that by convention the geronimo
> version is encoded in the plugin repository URI. So, when a user
> browses the plugins within a repository, he already does know which
> Geronimo version is targeted.
>
> Thanks,
> Gianny
>
> On 02/03/2008, at 6:54 PM, Gianny Damour wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I believe the external app version is quite important from an end-
>> user perspective; so, I'm inclined to go for B then C. For
>> instance, users clearly see the external app version while
>> browsing plugin repositories. Furthermore, this allows the clear
>> versioning of two plugins for distinct external application versions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gianny
>>
>> On 02/03/2008, at 12:18 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>>> How are we going to name plugins for external apps, such as
>>> roller or apache directory?
>>>
>>> There are three versions involved:
>>> 1. geronimo version
>>> 2. external app version