geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:52:31 GMT
Joe Bohn wrote:
> Jarek Gawor wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>  5) Should we make all samples plugins?  At the moment the jsp-examples,
>>>  servlet-examples, and ldap-sample-app are plugins.  The other 12
>>> samples
>>>  are not. I'd be in favor of creating a plugin for each and will work on
>>>  doing this unless I hear objections.
>>
>> I created plugins for all the samples in trunk only. I tested most of
>> them on jetty only so I would appreciate people trying them on Tomcat.
>> The samples that require database you will still need to follow the
>> directions in the sample wiki to create the database and the tables.
>> I'm actaully still debating if I should add in the gbean to the ear
>> descriptors to create the databases automatically or not (any thoughts
>> on that?). I also published all the samples so you should be able to
>> install the plugins remotely using
>> http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/geronimo-2.2/ repo.
>> Once the plugins look good to everyone we can merge them into
>> branches/2.1.
>
> Thanks Jarek ... I think it's great to have the plugin option for those
> installing samples.  I'll see if I can give them a try with a tomcat
> server later today.
>
> Regarding the creation of the database and tables; I think it probably
> depends on the sample and what it is trying to convey.  Perhaps I'll
> have a more informed opinion after I try the sample plugins out on a
> Tomcat server.  However, if creating the database is central to the
> purpose of the sample it is probably best not to mask or confuse this
> via the gbean.  Adding the gbean will impact not only those leveraging
> the plugin but also those that are following the detailed steps for the
> sample.

Ok, I finally got around to trying out some of the samples on tomcat.
The ones I tried worked just fine.  I'll attempt to try them all just in
case there is an issue with one.

I personally don't see any value in keeping the definition of the
database items manual and I think it would be great if we defined those
via the gbean in the ears.  I didn't walk through all of the samples but
it doesn't appear to me that defining the db elements is of any value to
the user of the samples.  We can still describe what the gbean is doing
for those that are curious.

Joe