geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:28:45 GMT
Jarek Gawor wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>  5) Should we make all samples plugins?  At the moment the jsp-examples,
>>  servlet-examples, and ldap-sample-app are plugins.  The other 12 samples
>>  are not. I'd be in favor of creating a plugin for each and will work on
>>  doing this unless I hear objections.
>
> I created plugins for all the samples in trunk only. I tested most of
> them on jetty only so I would appreciate people trying them on Tomcat.
> The samples that require database you will still need to follow the
> directions in the sample wiki to create the database and the tables.
> I'm actaully still debating if I should add in the gbean to the ear
> descriptors to create the databases automatically or not (any thoughts
> on that?). I also published all the samples so you should be able to
> install the plugins remotely using
> http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/geronimo-2.2/ repo.
> Once the plugins look good to everyone we can merge them into branches/2.1.

Thanks Jarek ... I think it's great to have the plugin option for those
installing samples.  I'll see if I can give them a try with a tomcat
server later today.

Regarding the creation of the database and tables; I think it probably
depends on the sample and what it is trying to convey.  Perhaps I'll
have a more informed opinion after I try the sample plugins out on a
Tomcat server.  However, if creating the database is central to the
purpose of the sample it is probably best not to mask or confuse this
via the gbean.  Adding the gbean will impact not only those leveraging
the plugin but also those that are following the detailed steps for the
sample.

Joe