geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo-web.xml for geronimo 2.0.1
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:40:58 GMT
Hi Remya,
here are a couple of tips for understanding the deployment plans

Schema documentation for geronimo-web.xml
http://geronimo.apache.org/schemas-2.1/docs/geronimo-web-2.0.1.xsd.html

If you want to try Geronimo 2.1 (which I would encourage you to do so) you can give a shot
to the deployment plan wizard (http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/deployment-plan-wizard.html
). It will create a deployment plan for you at deployment time, if you are using annotations
it's even easier!

Back to your specific quesitons,  <environment>, <moduleId> and <artifactId>.
These are how you uniquely identify your application (or any other resource) within Geronimo.

<moduleId> encloses <groupId>, <artifactId>, <version> and <type>.
These ultimately identify the resource in the repository.

<moduleId> is defined within the <environment> tag which also encloses the dependencies
your application may have. For instance a database connection pool, you'd be adding that dependency
there, all enclosed within the appropriate <dependencies><dependency> tags. The
deployment plan wizard link I included above provides more examples on this.

The deployment plans documentation is still in progress for Geronimo 2.1 ( http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/deployment-plans.html
), you may still find useful docs from previous releases with more details on the plans (
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC12/geronimo-webxml.html )

HTH

Cheers!
Hernan