geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples - zip files
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 20:15:28 GMT
Donald Woods wrote:
> User wouldn't have to build anything if each sample was a plug-in....

That would be true if the value in a sample just in running it.
However, I think most users want to dig into the source, make minor
changes and tweak it as a way to jump start their own development.
Sometime they are more interested in looking at the geronimo deployment
plans and experimenting with different deploy options.  For those types
of activities, they would need more than just a plugin ... they would
need the source, build poms, ears/wars, deployment plans, etc....

> Other thought, why not create a samples assembly which would create a
> zip/tar of the binaries that could be downloaded and extracted by a user
> to their location of choice.  A similar source and repo zipfile could be
> created for distributions, like we do for the server....

IIUC you are suggesting that instead of changing the build to generate a
zip per sample we generate 1 zip for all of the samples.  We wouldn't
need an assembly to do that, we could just do it manually like we do for
the server today when we release it.  That might be ok, but at the
moment our wiki doc explains each sample individually and I can image
cases where the user doesn't necessarily want or need all of the sample
content.  I think we are both on the same line regarding generating the
zip.  If it is just 1 zip file then it can be manually created when we
release.  But if we want to keep one per sample it makes more sense to
have them generated in the build.  Just my opinion.