geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples - zip files
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:47:17 GMT
User wouldn't have to build anything if each sample was a plug-in....

Other thought, why not create a samples assembly which would create a
zip/tar of the binaries that could be downloaded and extracted by a user
to their location of choice.  A similar source and repo zipfile could be
created for distributions, like we do for the server....

Joe Bohn wrote:
> Many of the sample wiki entries include *.zip files in addition to
> references to the svn repo.  These *.zip files include some snapshot of
> the source as well as the javadocs, xrefs, ears/wars, and in some cases
> even wiki html (I think including the wiki content in a zip is a bad
> idea ... it will never be up to date).
> Several have spoken in favor of eliminating the zips and I was initially
> inclined to remove them myself in favor of just referencing svn.
> However, that means that a user must build the samples (via maven) to
> get all the stuff included in the zip.  So the user must have svn &
> maven if they want to play with the samples on Geronimo or locally work
> with the source.
> One possible compromise would be enhance the build to produce the zip
> files.  These zip files would be released when the samples themselves
> are released (and stored in an m2 repo).  We could then reference the
> released zip file artifacts from the wiki entries rather than attaching
> them directly to the wiki.  The benefit would be an svn/maven free way
> to get the source and artifacts to utilize the samples on Geronimo.
> Thoughts?

View raw message