geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples - zip files
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:13:48 GMT

Many of the sample wiki entries include *.zip files in addition to
references to the svn repo.  These *.zip files include some snapshot of
the source as well as the javadocs, xrefs, ears/wars, and in some cases
even wiki html (I think including the wiki content in a zip is a bad
idea ... it will never be up to date).

Several have spoken in favor of eliminating the zips and I was initially
inclined to remove them myself in favor of just referencing svn.

However, that means that a user must build the samples (via maven) to
get all the stuff included in the zip.  So the user must have svn &
maven if they want to play with the samples on Geronimo or locally work
with the source.

One possible compromise would be enhance the build to produce the zip
files.  These zip files would be released when the samples themselves
are released (and stored in an m2 repo).  We could then reference the
released zip file artifacts from the wiki entries rather than attaching
them directly to the wiki.  The benefit would be an svn/maven free way
to get the source and artifacts to utilize the samples on Geronimo.
Thoughts?