geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:44:39 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2008, at 7:12 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> Donald Woods wrote:

>>> why not move the samples back under geronimo/server, so they are
>>> maintained and versioned with each release and can then be used as
>>> additional testsuite tests?  If not, releasing right after a server
>>> release is fine.
>>
>> I was thinking about doing this.  It seems everybody thinks we should
>> release them together anyway so what is the real value with them being
>> split out?  Does anybody object to moving them back with the server?
>
> well, since I thought our next goal with the server build was to
> separate it into independently released plugins, I think putting the
> samples in with the main server build would be a big step backwards.

Well, I agree that it would appear to be a step backwards from that
perspective.  However, it would ensure the following:

1) The samples would get released (not forgotten as has been the case
with 2.1)
2) The samples would be released concurrent with the Geronimo release so
that they are available for use, education, and documentation from day
1.  It seems almost everybody is in favor of this.
3) They could be leveraged in the testsuite tests (as Donald pointed
out) to help validate our build and find problems earlier.

I fail to see too many negatives from a practical perspective but I'm
certainly open to discussion .... I want to do what is best.

Perhaps we need to refine our plugin strategy.  There are situations
where it makes sense to split things apart but there are also situations
where it might make sense to bundle things.

Joe