geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:12:13 GMT

Joe Bohn wrote:

> A bit of unfinished business from 2.1 is the release of samples.  I
> think we need to get these fixed and available fairly soon for 2.1. Here
> are some questions for discussion around that and how we should manage
> the samples in general.
>
> 1) Do we release all the samples collectively or individually?  My vote
> would be collectively.

collectively

> 2) When to release the samples?  I think we should make an effort to
> release the samples concurrent with each Geronimo release.  This is
> important because the jsp & servlet examples are referenced from within
> the welcome page on Geronimo.  I suppose we could remove that reference
> and eliminate the need to release concurrently.

why not move the samples back under geronimo/server, so they are
maintained and versioned with each release and can then be used as
additional testsuite tests?  If not, releasing right after a server
release is fine.

> 3) Managing sample source.  IMO the only place we should maintain source
> for the samples is in svn.  I think Jarek managed to update all of the
> sample doc with references to the svn repo for each sample but I think
> there might be a place or two where we include a zip of the source in
> the wiki in addition to the SVN reference (at least I recall seeing some
> not too long ago).  I plan to hunt them out and remove those attachments
> where they are already checked into svn.

everything in svn with no zipfiles in the wiki

> 4) More on managing source....  I think our source for the samples
> should mirror the source for the server in terms of branches/tags.

either move them under geronimo/server or mirror our server svn structure

> 5) Should we make all samples plugins?  At the moment the jsp-examples,
> servlet-examples, and ldap-sample-app are plugins.  The other 12 samples
> are not. I'd be in favor of creating a plugin for each and will work on
> doing this unless I hear objections.

good goal to have, if time permits