geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.1 samples
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:20:16 GMT

A bit of unfinished business from 2.1 is the release of samples.  I
think we need to get these fixed and available fairly soon for 2.1.
Here are some questions for discussion around that and how we should
manage the samples in general.

1) Do we release all the samples collectively or individually?  My vote
would be collectively.

2) When to release the samples?  I think we should make an effort to
release the samples concurrent with each Geronimo release.  This is
important because the jsp & servlet examples are referenced from within
the welcome page on Geronimo.  I suppose we could remove that reference
and eliminate the need to release concurrently.

3) Managing sample source.  IMO the only place we should maintain source
for the samples is in svn.  I think Jarek managed to update all of the
sample doc with references to the svn repo for each sample but I think
there might be a place or two where we include a zip of the source in
the wiki in addition to the SVN reference (at least I recall seeing some
not too long ago).  I plan to hunt them out and remove those attachments
where they are already checked into svn.

4) More on managing source....  I think our source for the samples
should mirror the source for the server in terms of branches/tags.

5) Should we make all samples plugins?  At the moment the jsp-examples,
servlet-examples, and ldap-sample-app are plugins.  The other 12 samples
are not. I'd be in favor of creating a plugin for each and will work on
doing this unless I hear objections.

I'm sure there are a lot of other issues .... this is just to get the
ball rolling.

Joe