geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject [YOKO] Enabling interoperability unit tests.
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 14:47:17 GMT
Recently, I was debugging some problems resulting from interoperability
problems between Yoko and other ORBs.  In this situation, there were
problems between yoko and both the Sun orb and the IBM JVM orb.
Eventually, I was able to narrow down and diagnose the problems by
running a subset of the RMI unit tests using yoko as the client and one
of the other orbs to run the server target.  This was a very manual
process, requiring me to manually launch the client and server
executables in separate windows.

It would be really nice if we could drive this from maven using a
profile.  I've been digging through the code, and I think with just a
few tweaks, I can get the client and server portions of the tests to
launch with different JVMs and ORB setups.  The java code to drive this
is the easy part..the hard part (for me anyway) is getting maven set up
to process this.

The test case launching code looks through the system properties for
property that begin with "client:" or "server:" and uses those values to
override system properties.  I believe if the test plugin was configured
to to pass in "client:java.home", "client:use.yoko", "server:java.home",
and "server:use.yoko", it would be a simple matter to get the launcher
to work with any combination of client and server JVMs. The default
profile would just pass in the "java.home" value and "true" for both
sets.  Other iterations would be handled via appropriate -D settings to
switch the values.

Anyway, that's how I envision getting maven to handle this.  I'd
appreciate any pointers on how get this set up and working in maven.

Rick