geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Proposed release process
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:33:03 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> We've previously discussed and I think agreed that the documented
> release process is seriously out of date with the current capabilities
> of maven.
>
> I'm proposing we update the documented release process to rely primarily
> on the maven-release-plugin.
>
> I've written this up here:
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Proposed+%28updated%29+release+process
>
> The current official documentation is here:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Release+Branching+Process
>
> As noted in another email I think I've solved the "wrong tags location"
> problem by modifying genesis and including a release profile.
>
> Please take a look and propose updates.   I'll call a vote on this shortly.

David,

Thanks for pulling this together.

My comments are somewhat limited since I haven't yet served as a release
manager and hence don't fully appreciate how difficult things have been.
    With that grain of salt ... here are my comments:

1) Is this really ready for prime-time given that the stage plugin has
not yet been released and apparently does not honor the version
specified? Also, does this mean that the staging repo must be empty
except for the items that you want to release before you perform step 7.
2) Do the site directions apply (ie. to all or more plugins have site
docs ... specs, etc..)?
3) There are two steps 10).
4) The step to update the geronimo-plugins.xml should probably be
expanded to specify how this is to be done.  Do you recommend using the
output from the car-maven-plugin followed by some minor edits (to remove
references to the local maven repo)?
5) Should we consider updating the steps to handle releasing an item for
multiple Geronimo versions (and/or multiple server configurations such
as jetty vs. tomcat)?

Joe