geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Version numbers for plugins of external apps
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:49:24 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> How are we going to name plugins for external apps, such as roller or
> apache directory?
>
> There are three versions involved:
> 1. geronimo version
> 2. external app version
> 3. plugin version
>
> I figure if we're developing/releasing it the groupId is going to be
> o.a.g.plugins
>
> That leaves us with the artifactId and version to possibly encode this
> info into.
>
> Lets assume a version number of x.y.z.
>
> Here are some possibilities:
>
> A.  Don't encode anything, just have the plugin version be (3).  So,
> roller-jetty-1.0 would happen to be for roller 4.0 and geronimo 2.1, and
> you'd have to look inside to find that out.  I'd suggest in this case
> that changes in roller or geronimo versions would bump the major version
> x or minor version y whereas releasing an enhanced plugin for the same
> app and geronimo versions would bump z.
>
> B. Include the external app version in the artifactId and don't encode
> the geronimo version.  E.g., roller-4.0-jetty-1.0 would happen to be for
> geronimo 2.1 but you could see that it's for roller 4.0 from the
> artifactId.  This is basically the solution we used for specs.  I assume
> changing geronimo version would bump the major version x or minor
> version y whereas releasing an enhanced plugin for the same app and
> geronimo versions would bump z.
>
> C. Include both the external app version and geronimo version in the
> artifactId, e.g. roller-4.0-g-2.1-jetty-1.0  would be the first release
> of a roller plugin using roller 4.0 and geronimo 2.1.
>
> D. Include the geronimo version but not the external app version, e.g.
> roller-g-2.1-jetty-1.0.
>
> I'm inclined to go for (A) but see arguments for everything except D.
>
> Thoughts?

I like (C) because you can easily determine everything from the plugin
name and I think that is the most helpful for a user.  Yes, it's long
and ugly ... and you could figure out the other versions in other ways
... but it's very helpful. We could eliminate one more character by
compressing g-2.1 to g2.1.

Joe