geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Version numbers for plugins of external apps
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2008 01:18:40 GMT
How are we going to name plugins for external apps, such as roller or
apache directory?

There are three versions involved:
1. geronimo version
2. external app version
3. plugin version

I figure if we're developing/releasing it the groupId is going to be
o.a.g.plugins

That leaves us with the artifactId and version to possibly encode
this info into.

Lets assume a version number of x.y.z.

Here are some possibilities:

A.  Don't encode anything, just have the plugin version be (3).  So,
roller-jetty-1.0 would happen to be for roller 4.0 and geronimo 2.1,
and you'd have to look inside to find that out.  I'd suggest in this
case that changes in roller or geronimo versions would bump the major
version x or minor version y whereas releasing an enhanced plugin for
the same app and geronimo versions would bump z.

B. Include the external app version in the artifactId and don't
encode the geronimo version.  E.g., roller-4.0-jetty-1.0 would happen
to be for geronimo 2.1 but you could see that it's for roller 4.0
from the artifactId.  This is basically the solution we used for
specs.  I assume changing geronimo version would bump the major
version x or minor version y whereas releasing an enhanced plugin for
the same app and geronimo versions would bump z.

C. Include both the external app version and geronimo version in the
artifactId, e.g. roller-4.0-g-2.1-jetty-1.0  would be the first
release of a roller plugin using roller 4.0 and geronimo 2.1.

D. Include the geronimo version but not the external app version,
e.g. roller-g-2.1-jetty-1.0.

I'm inclined to go for (A) but see arguments for everything except D.

Thoughts?

thanks
david jencks