geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Selenium
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 00:30:57 GMT
On 29/02/2008, at 6:04 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> I went to a selenium get together Monday and think we have some
> great opportunities for improving and speeding up our testsuite.
>
> The bits I think would be of most benefit, from my perspective as a
> non-test-engineer, are:
>
> selenium grid.  This lets you run basically any number of selenium
> tests in parallel against a single server.  For instance we can run
> all the console tests in parallel.
> selenium IDE.  This lets you record your actions on a web site as a
> test.  You can also edit the results for e.g. better independence
> of the xpath expressions on the specific html

Hi,

IMHO, we should stay away from the recording feature provided by
Selenium IDE: it generates code which is really hard to maintain on
the long run. Or, generated code could be refactored to better
abstract user interactions. Ideally, Selenium tests are written first
and, based on many observations, this results in way better
integration tests.

I also believe that the xpath element selection style is weak and I
think that location of elements by ids is a better way to go,
especially as we have full control of the source code.

Thanks,
Gianny