geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Indent 2 spaces in xml and vm files to match more common usage, especially maven.
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:04:13 GMT

On Mar 13, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> -0
>>
>> I find 2 space indenting difficult to read.
>
> This is one reason why I'm -1.

I do too, but after dealing with trying to compare our files to maven
2 space indented files I consider that an infinitesimal price to pay
for the enormous advantage of consistence with the model build system.

>>> - in genesis geronimo-skin we have a site.vm file that is a
>>> slightly modified copy of the default .vm file from doxia-
>>> sitetools.  Trying to update it or compare it with different
>>> indents is quite an experience.
>
> I made many modifications to the site.vm, so I don't really
> understand why anyone would want to diff it to the original.

maybe to find out what you changed?  I could detect only one change,
which i don't understand the reason for -- adding a table to the menu
column.  What does that do?

When I tried working on it to generate a couple sites, it didn't seem
to be working as well as the default skin, so to try to investigate I
compared it to the default.  The only difference I could find was the
table, so I reverted the other parts to copy the default so the next
person to encounter this particular hell wouldn't have so much work
to do.

Having a copy is bad enough without reformatting it so its really
hard to tell how it was changed.

>> I'm not terribly familiar w/ site generation.  I was under the
>> impression that we leave cookies by the wiki and elves make it.  :)
>>
>> Could we not just reformat the site.vm file to have 4 space indents?
>
> Well that is what I did... but David is trying to diff it against
> the original ste.vm for some reason, which comes from Maven and is
> 2 space indented.

because it didn't appear to be working right and I was trying to find
out how it was different from the default as a clue about why.

>>> - maven archetypes pop out xml with 2 space indenting, and maven
>>> xml has 2 space indenting.  Re-indenting our stuff any time you
>>> run an archetype or borrow some configuration from maven is a
>>> nuisance that frequently is ignored and again the spacing
>>> difference makes comparison quite difficult.
>>
>> For those of us sensible enough to use IntelliJ, alt-cmd-L makes
>> our world tidy.  Maybe we could get the archetype generator to
>> take the number of spaces for an indent as a configuration parameter?
>
> IMO the archetype plugin needs to have this... as I know many folks
> that don't care for 2 space indented xmls.  If needed though we can
> whip up a reindenter in groovy quite easily.

I'm not sure us making maven more complicated is a long-term solution
to this problem.  There are plenty of problems with the archetype
plugin, I'm not sure making modello generated xml output pretty
printed is one of the more pressing.

> * * *
>
> IMO changing our XML indent from 4 to 2 spaces just because Maven
> uses a 2 space indent is not a hot idea... and I'm still a strong
> -1 on the matter.

How do you reliably do a diff between 4 and 2 space indented files
and get a real result of actual non-whitespace differences?  Emacs
doesn't work, it usually flakes out halfway through the file for no
reason I can discern.  How do you do this without spending hours
finding the right tooling every time you need to do it?

thanks
david jencks