geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What are the ways to check Geronimo performance?
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:53:34 GMT

On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:28 AM, newbie-gero wrote:

> Hi lists,
> i have read up about the Geronimo and it seems to be a very good
> application
> server. However i like to check the performance of Geronimo.
>
> So i like to ask all of you what are the ways to check for the
> scalability,
> invocation speed, how much it can handle multi threaded functions, the
> transport speed. Therefore i like to know what are the test tools i
> can use
> or implement or how to go about it.
>
> Do any of you have done these before?

Well, Matt Hogstrom did a lot of work along these lines but he's not
very active at the moment.  We have a benchmarking application called
daytrader that can be used to test a lot of functionality.  However
IMO it is rather difficult to get useful comparative information
between app servers without an enormous amount of work and hardware.
Basically with tuning any well-known app server goes pretty darn
fast, and in any particular benchmarketing study usually the one that
the organization that does the study is more familiar with wins due
to better tuning.  I think the main use of apps like this is to
pinpoint specific performance bottlenecks and provide a relatively
controlled environment to try out solutions for them.

some of the things you are likely to need to get meaningful results:
one or more real servers (multiprocessor multicore)
lots of client machines
a c-based test harness (Matt couldn't find a java based test harness
that could keep up with the server)

Kevan's provided links to a couple of Matt's reports.  At one time
geronimo 2.x had severe performance problems looking up Datasources
in jndi, but this has been fixed.  I'm not sure if the latest report
is before or after this fix.

thanks
david jencks