geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Indent 2 spaces in xml and vm files to match more common usage, especially maven.
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:27:32 GMT
On Mar 14, 2008, at 2:04 PM, David Jencks wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> On Mar 14, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>> -0
>>>
>>> I find 2 space indenting difficult to read.
>>
>> This is one reason why I'm -1.
>
> I do too, but after dealing with trying to compare our files to
> maven 2 space indented files I consider that an infinitesimal price
> to pay for the enormous advantage of consistence with the model
> build system.

>> I made many modifications to the site.vm, so I don't really
>> understand why anyone would want to diff it to the original.
>
> maybe to find out what you changed?  I could detect only one change,
> which i don't understand the reason for -- adding a table to the
> menu column.  What does that do?
>
> When I tried working on it to generate a couple sites, it didn't
> seem to be working as well as the default skin, so to try to
> investigate I compared it to the default.  The only difference I
> could find was the table, so I reverted the other parts to copy the
> default so the next person to encounter this particular hell
> wouldn't have so much work to do.
>
> Having a copy is bad enough without reformatting it so its really
> hard to tell how it was changed.

The site.vm was working fine... until you went and started changing
things :-P  I made several changes so that the generated sites looked
like the geronimo site.

Its a custom skin and IMO should not need to be compared to the
default skin at all.  I just based our skin on the default skin, thats
it.

>> IMO changing our XML indent from 4 to 2 spaces just because Maven
>> uses a 2 space indent is not a hot idea... and I'm still a strong
>> -1 on the matter.
>
> How do you reliably do a diff between 4 and 2 space indented files
> and get a real result of actual non-whitespace differences?  Emacs
> doesn't work, it usually flakes out halfway through the file for no
> reason I can discern.  How do you do this without spending hours
> finding the right tooling every time you need to do it?

I don't generally need to diff files of this nature... and I'm still
confused why you are trying to do it.  I understand that something
changed and now its broke.  So I suggest reverting your changes, or re-
crafting the site.vm from the default so that it looks & behaves the
same.  If you want to leave that file 2 space indent I don't care, but
thats no reason to change everything to 2 spaces.

--jason