geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Vamsavardhana Reddy" <c1vams...@gmail.com>
Subject Another instance of Long path problem on windows
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:22:06 GMT
I tried to deploy a tuscany demo sample war file
demo-alert-aggregator-webapp.war on my Geronimo 2.1 installation on
windows.  When  the install directory is c:\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1,
the application deployment failed with the following exception:

Could not scan module for TLD files: org.apache.tuscany.sca.tuscany-demos
/demo-alert-aggregator-webapp/1.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT/war Filename too long
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException
: Could not scan module for TLD files: org.apache.tuscany.sca.tuscany-demos
/demo-alert-aggregator-webapp/1.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT/war Filename too long
    at
org.apache.geronimo.jasper.deployment.JspModuleBuilderExtension.scanModule(
JspModuleBuilderExtension.java:297)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.jasper.deployment.JspModuleBuilderExtension.getTldFiles(
JspModuleBuilderExtension.java:238)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.jasper.deployment.JspModuleBuilderExtension.createJspClassFinder
(JspModuleBuilderExtension.java:179)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.jasper.deployment.JspModuleBuilderExtension.addGBeans(
JspModuleBuilderExtension.java:149)
    at org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.deployment.TomcatModuleBuilder.addGBeans(
TomcatModuleBuilder.java:493)
    at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.SwitchingModuleBuilder.addGBeans(
SwitchingModuleBuilder.java:165)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.EARConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(
EARConfigBuilder.java:647)
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:254)
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:133)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(
ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
    at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(
GBeanOperation.java:124)
    at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(
GBeanInstance.java:867)
    at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java
:239)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.AbstractDeployCommand.doDeploy(
AbstractDeployCommand.java:116)
    at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.plugin.local.DistributeCommand.run(
DistributeCommand.java:61)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.util.zip.ZipException: Filename too long
    at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:203)
    at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:132)
    at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:97)
    at
org.apache.geronimo.jasper.deployment.JspModuleBuilderExtension.scanModule(
JspModuleBuilderExtension.java:289)
    ... 19 more

After I renamed the installation directory to c:\g2.1, the application
deployed successfully (startup failed with some exceptions...  but that is a
different problem.).  In our docs, we recommend users to extract the archive
to a short directory name on windows (for e.g. c:\g).  Even that does not
seem to be effective in the current case as our distributions themselves use
a long base directory name.  Should we recommend the users to further
shorten the base directory name by renaming after extraction?  Or should we
shorten the base directory name in our distros?

++Vamsi