geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jonas Andersen ...@aragost.com>
Subject Re: Hibernate transaction manager lookup
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:12:50 GMT
Quoting David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>:

> On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Jonas Andersen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Having played around with Geronimo 2.0.2, Spring and Hibernate a
>> bit for the last couple of days, I have attached a transaction
>> manager lookup for Geronimo to the Hibernate JIRA HHH-1368 ( http://
>> opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-1368 ).
>>
>> Considering how simple this class is, for how long that JIRA has
>> been open, and how little information I have been able to find on
>> using Hibernate with Geronimo, I'm curious as to whether I'm
>> missing something critical?
>>
>> Anyone have any comments on using Hibernate with the "java:comp/
>> UserTransaction" and "java:/TransactionManager"? I should warn,
>> that I have only been doing a bit of testing, doing simple select
>> and insert (through a Hibernate Session of course) in an EBJ3 SLSB
>> with CMT.
>
> I've been wondering for a while why this should be necessary.... are
> you using Hibernate as a jpa provider or using the non-standard
> interfaces?  I would expect no such adapter should be necessary using
> Hibernate as a jpa provider.  If you are using the non-standard
> interfaces I'm curious what they provide that isn't available through
> jpa.

I'm using Hibernate Core (non-standard). Looking into using OpenJPA or
an alternative such as Hibernate EntityManager, is on my to-do list. I
just wanted to get the familiar Spring+Hibernate (Core) running first.
As such, I can't say to what extend (if any) I need to use Hibernate
Core instead of JPA.

Is there any reason why Hibernate Core shouldn't be supported on
Geronimo (implied it uses Geronimo managed DataSource and JTA/CMT
transactions)? Seems to me that the Spring+Hibernate combination is
pretty common.

Best regards,

Jonas Andersen