geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Indent 2 spaces in xml and vm files to match more common usage, especially maven.
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 05:49:22 GMT
On Mar 14, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> -0
>
> I find 2 space indenting difficult to read.

This is one reason why I'm -1.

>> - in genesis geronimo-skin we have a site.vm file that is a
>> slightly modified copy of the default .vm file from doxia-
>> sitetools.  Trying to update it or compare it with different
>> indents is quite an experience.

I made many modifications to the site.vm, so I don't really understand
why anyone would want to diff it to the original.

> I'm not terribly familiar w/ site generation.  I was under the
> impression that we leave cookies by the wiki and elves make it.  :)
>
> Could we not just reformat the site.vm file to have 4 space indents?

Well that is what I did... but David is trying to diff it against the
original ste.vm for some reason, which comes from Maven and is 2 space
indented.

>> - maven archetypes pop out xml with 2 space indenting, and maven
>> xml has 2 space indenting.  Re-indenting our stuff any time you run
>> an archetype or borrow some configuration from maven is a nuisance
>> that frequently is ignored and again the spacing difference makes
>> comparison quite difficult.
>
> For those of us sensible enough to use IntelliJ, alt-cmd-L makes our
> world tidy.  Maybe we could get the archetype generator to take the
> number of spaces for an indent as a configuration parameter?

IMO the archetype plugin needs to have this... as I know many folks
that don't care for 2 space indented xmls.  If needed though we can
whip up a reindenter in groovy quite easily.

* * *

IMO changing our XML indent from 4 to 2 spaces just because Maven uses
a 2 space indent is not a hot idea... and I'm still a strong -1 on the
matter.

--jason