geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: start-server command and default user credentials
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:16:14 GMT
The wait for start behavior is required for proper TCK automation, so
that once the start-server command finishes,  we know the server is up
and running, else there is some problem.

I imagine that users also want this type of feedback when they run the
start-server command.  I think it would be a bad idea to run the
command and return success and then force the user to use an
additional command or inspect the logs (or process tree) to determine
if the server was started.

The problem here is that to access this information we need an
authenticated connection via JMX.  So if we can provide a limited
system-only account with a passwd that is static then we can get this
information to allow the command to work even when the "system"
account passwd has been changed.  Alternatively we can provide another
mechanism to allow tools to query the running status of the server.
There is no security risk here, just need to provide some simple
mechanism to allow tools to determine the state of the server.  Which
IMO seems very reasonable to me.

I'd like to not see this functionality tossed into a separate command,
but have the feature exposed to all tools.

  * * *

David, how hard is it to implement a JMX authentication and limitation
system which would only grant a specific user access to invoke/get
operations/attributes on a set of gbeans?

--jason