geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inclusion of MySQL in roller-mysql-database plugin
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:36:21 GMT

On Feb 9, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Thank you Kevan for bringing this to the table. Just to make sure
> everybody is clear on what the roller-mysql-database plugin dose, or
> more to the point dose not do. Jarek is exactly right when he says
> that the plugin dosen't actually include or distribute the mysql
> driver but it dose however automatically download the driver if it
> is not already present in the geronimo repository.
>
> As this automatic non user interaction convenience of the plugin,
> that dose not in a clear way tell the user what he/she is about to
> do (licence way) is the issue I would like to know if we have a
> consensus on using prerequsite in the plugin configuration (on the
> mysql driver being loaded beforehand) to satisfactory handle the
> licensing issue ?
>
> If I understand Kevan right a prerequisite on the driver would
> satisfy things so my suggestion (although I am just slightly
> involved in the roller plugin project and not in the PMC) would be
> to modify the plugin accordingly and reinstate it in the roller
> plugin assembly (as it is now it is disabled) what is your take on
> this?

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your note. Your suggestion is certainly welcome. I did not
mean to imply (and hope that it wasn't taken this way) that only PMC
members should participate in this discussion. I only meant that the
PMC had responsibilities to insure we reached a satisfactory solution.

> If we have consensus on this what would be a feasible text to put in
> the prerequisite section ?

I think some of the text that I put in the pom.xml could be reworded
slightly and would be ok...

> Although using prerequisite to fix this is (or may be) a available
> and viable option It would IMHO (although I don't know if it would
> satisfy the ASF Licensing Policy(?)) be more feasible (in cases like
> this) to somehow make the user aware of the licence statement and
> give him/here the option, after reading the licence (or what ever is
> necessary to satisfy the parties), to cancel the installation if he/
> she so chooses.

IMO, this would be satisfactory, also. Great even... As long as the
user is properly informed of the licensing implications of his or her
actions.

--kevan