geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Release Roller plugin soon?
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 02:00:19 GMT

On Feb 16, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> Now that 2.1 is released (I think :-)  I'd like to move toward
>> releasing the Roller plugin pretty soon.
>>
>> The major obstacle I know of is that the source of the roller war
>> used as input is rather mysterious and is certainly not released
>> by roller.  I can build it locally but I've forgotten what roller
>> modifications if any are in it.
> You are right about that ;). If you chose the local build strategy,
> checking out the roller 4.0 tag and use "ant mvn-install"  (also
> before first time build "ant mvn-get") should build and install the
> roller artifacs. My impression is that this should produce the same
> stuff as is released by the roller teem as mvn-install depends on
> "build" and I cant find any other ant release related sections but
> maybe the actuall release is done some other way (?). No extra
> patches should be needed every necessary patch we provided and
> wanted to get in for the plugin to work smoothly has been included
> by the roller teem before the svn branching to 4.1.
>>
>> I'm not exactly happy with the idea but think the most practical
>> solution is to check any necessary roller patch and the built war
>> into svn.  I don't know if we could convince the roller project to
>> release maven-compatible artifacts in a reasonable amount of time.
> There is a "mvn-deploy" section in the roller projects ant
> build.xml file but I don't know if anybody has pulled the
> trigger ;) but releasing artifacts may not be that far away. But as
> you say a more practical solution is probably to add the war by
> setting up a extra "roller-war-mvn-install" section in the roller
> plugin code base that puts the war in your local maven repos.
>>
>> Another possible improvement is to remove the jars from WEB-INF/
>> lib and put them into our repository.  This would greatly reduce
>> the size of the war we'd have to keep in svn.
> In the long run, if we cant convince the roller teem to pick up
> maven which dosen't seem likely, this would be something to
> consider although during my work on a maven build system for roller
> I found that 4 of the roller used lib jars is not present in maven,
> but that may have changed. One way to accomplish this would be to
> pick up and maintain the maven build patch for roller but maybe
> that would be to "go over the river for water".

It might be worth it :-).... after spending some time working on a
roller security refactoring I remember so many of the reasons I don't
like ant :-)

I've confirmed that we don't need additional roller patches with the
current plugin to get something installable.

I've also played around with a "no-libs" roller without anything in
its WEB-INF/lib, all these jars being dependencies in the geronimo
repo.  See the GERONIMO-2994-nolibs.patch and GERONIMO-2994-roller-
patch patches.  These seem to work fine (only tried jetty so far) but
introduce the question of how to make the 4-5 unpublished jars and
roller jars available to someone who wants to download and install
the plugin.  Maybe I can cook up a way to get just these jars into
the WEB-INF/lib.  One of the jars, commons-id-1.0-SNAPSHOT has never
been released in any form whatsoever, so I kinda wonder about
including it in any apache projects.

Another idea I had before releasing this is to try to get logging
working.  So far everything I've tried has not allowed any logging
from roller in any form I can find.  Anyone have any ideas?

>> Does anyone else want improvements before we release?
> If the "how to build" section in the readme file is not enough I
> would vote for including the war "as is" in a "install war section"
> in the plugin code base before release to "ensure" everybody
> building the plugin uses the same roller war.
>
> There is a roller v4.0.1 on its way I haven't looked at it but
> maybe we should upgrade to it as it is likely it is a bug fix release.

I've seen talk of 4.1 which has some enhancements but not a 4.0.1....
will have to look harder.

thanks
david jencks