geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo in year 2008
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:22:27 GMT

On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Shiva Kumar H R wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008 1:56 AM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Things that I haven't seen mentioned, yet:
>
> EE 6 -- we should be seeing an initial EE 6 spec, soon. As other
> projects begin implementing EE 6 capabilities, I expect that we'll be
> rolling them into Geronimo. There are also new specifications which we
> may need to implement ourselves. I know that Jarek has looked at the
> Concurrency Utilities specification (which may be part of EE 6).
> Hoping he can tell us about that...
>
> Performance -- One area that I think we need to improve is startup
> time. I think our startup has slowed down, and I'd like to see us
> speed it up dramatically. We can measure current startup performance
> and optimize our hot spots. Depending on what we find, we can also
> investigate algorithmic enhancements.
>
> And what about size of our assemblies? With G1.1.1 I had always
> taken pride talking about Geronimo being lightweight - a J2EE server
> under just 35MB!!
>
> I remember there were some discussions & effort before 2.0 release.
> Have we reached a point where we can't reduce the size any further?

Good point. I definitely think it's good to keep an eye on this. I'm
more concerned about keeping minimal assembly (or custom assembly ;-)
size to a minimum, than I am about Java EE size.

Taking a quick scan of a 2.1 Tomcat EE5 server -- unpacked we're 104
megs. 50 megs of that are in repository/org/apache/geronimo. 26 megs
are in our configs. And 20 megs are in the following two configs:

   org/apache/geronimo/configs/dojo-legacy-tomcat (5)
   org/apache/geronimo/configs/dojo-tomcat (15)

--kevan