geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GShell Geronimo commands documentation?
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:45:12 GMT

On Feb 12, 2008, at 5:21 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> there's layout.xml and all the commands are in the command
> module.... a lot of the commands have some help although I've had
> some problems figuring out how to access it.
>
> probably not telling you anything you didn't know :-/
>
> david jencks
>
> On Feb 12, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Jason Warner wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've been doing some work on the wiki page for Gshell, providing
>> information on the available commands that can be used.  The only
>> incarnation of GShell I've been using, though, is what can be built
>> and used standalone.  This means that I have zero experience with
>> the Geronimo specific commands that come built in with the server.
>> My question to you people then is: What commands are available to a
>> user through gshell?  Do we already have some documentation for this?

Download (or build) a server (e.g. http://people.apache.org/~kevan/release-votes/G-2.1/geronimo-2.1-dist/geronimo-jetty6-javaee5-2.1-bin.zip)

run './geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1/bin/gsh' (on a proper OS :)

To get help:

'help' will display all commands -- the format of this output really
needs to be more usable!

--help will get command specific options. For instance:

 > geronimo/start-server --help
start-server
  --

   -A (--javaagent) JAR           Use a specific Java Agent, set to
'none' to dis
                                  able
   -D (--property) NAME=VALUE     Define system properties
   -G (--gproperty) NAME=VALUE    Define an org.apache.geronimo property
   -H (--home) DIR                Use a specific Geronimo home directory
   -J (--javaopt) FLAG            Set a JVM flag
   -b (--background)              Run the server process in the
background
   -h (--help)                    Display this help message
   -j (--jvm) DIR                 Use a specific Java Virtual Machine
for server
                                  process
   -l (--logfile) FILE            Capture console output to file
   -m (--module) NAME             Start up a specific module by name
   -q (--quiet)                   Suppress informative and warning
messages
   -t (--timeout) N               Specify the timeout for the server
process in s
                                  econds
   -v (--verbose)                 Enable verbose output; specify
multipule times
                                  to increase verbosity

I documented the basics of this in the README.

--kevan