geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Diagnostic Utility For AG
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:53:43 GMT

On Feb 18, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Joseph Leong wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to toss an idea out to the community and get some
> feedback.  A few other members of the community and myself are
> interested in creating a diagnostic utility for AG.  This
> diagnostic utility would perform something similar to what one
> would see when an application crashes and a prompter allows the end
> user to send a report to the developers.  However this idea has an
> open source twist to it - rather than the developers exclusively
> being able to view the issue or contribute a solution, any user
> can.  When an error or issue occurs in AG it'll generate a sort of
> unique message key that will be used to automatically generate a
> wiki type page somewhere.  This wiki page will include vital
> information that will help in debugging the issue.  There any user/
> developer can post solutions or thoughts.  In addition, we'd try to
> aim to create some sort of standardized way to generate these
> message keys so if another user encounters the same error it will
> redirect or build upon the existing wiki another user has already
> opened.  Ultimately... the hopes are that this tool can serve as a
> convenient way for users to get help on their issues and expedite
> that process by automating a process and presenting it in an
> organized fashion.
>
> I know theres plenty room for ideas and improvements to this.. so
> please feel to comment anything!

I'm not sure I understand your proposal.  I think that letting a
geronimo installation communicate with anything not specifically
configured by the system administrator, in particular communicating
with a wiki at apache, is not acceptable.

I'd be fine with the geronimo build having a profile that constructs
wiki pages for each error if they are not already present in the wiki
and having the error message include a key to the wiki page.  I think
it might be good to have the key be human-readable, but I don't have
an idea on how to accomplish that.

thanks
david jencks