geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Round trip debugging of Geronimo in Eclipse
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:41:01 GMT

On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Dan Becker wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have set up a Geronimo 2.1 server in Eclipse using the
> instructions given
> at
> http://geronimo.apache.org/developing-the-geronimo-eclipse-plugin-
> in-eclipse.html.
>
> I have imported a server trunk tree as projects into my Eclipse
> environment,
> set up a Geronimo server runtime, and point a Plug-in Target
> Platform back
> to my plugin directory. At this point all seems to be working. I
> can use
> Eclipse to start and stop the server, and catch a break point in
> geronimo-system.
>
> However, when I try to modify the server code, I have difficulty
> taking the
> updated class back to the runtime to further debug it. I see
> modifying a
> Java file in Eclipse produces an updated class file in the server
> trunk
> framework module geronimo-system directory, but I still am unclear
> what
> steps or what  poms to build to bring this class back to the server
> runtime.
>
> I would appreciate any doc pointers or explanations to help clear
> my newbie
> confusion.

the modified class(es) need to get into  the proper jar and that jar
be copied into the appropriate place in the geronimo repository.
Then all geronimo plugins/modules that depend on that jar need to be
restarted.  For geronimo-system, you need to restart the server.  For
something like geronimo-jetty6, you'd restart jetty and all the web
apps.

thanks
david jencks