geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.1 working on Harmony
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:56:49 GMT

On Feb 22, 2008, at 11:43 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:25 PM, David Jencks
> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>  I guess the gshell launcher should figure this stuff out.    It
>> seems
>>  like this is moving us from configuration back towards code which
>> I'm
>>  not too thrilled about.  At least the script can be in groovy.
>
> Can you elaborate more? How? Where should I look for answers?
>
> XML-less configuration as a groovy script is the best of two worlds -
> xml and java. You don't have to write ugly xml "esseys" yet it's as
> simple as xml. You can develop your apps with java and configure them
> with java-like language - groovy. I think it makes the configuration
> better than xml-based one. It's like maven's pom.xml in jruby, i.e.
> Apache Buildr. If we could have a buildr-like configuration layer for
> Geronimo I'd be more than happy.

So, step one is to turn this stuff into variables in config-
substitutions.xml.  This can be done by modifying the poms building
the plugins and putting the stuff that goes into config.xml and
config-substitutions.properties in the car-maven-plugin  config.
This is easy and we can do it today.

Step two is to figure out how to recognize the vm in groovy and run
some code or a script depending on the vm.  The harmony vm could set
some system properties to override the appropriate variable values in
config-substitutions.properties.  I'm not sure how to do either of
these.

This doesn't involve a groovy gbean builder.    I'd wait for dain to
get farther with his xbean-reflect work before working a lot on that
idea.  I don't know how useful it would be.  It might be great or it
might be worse than xml.

thanks
david jencks