geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Model for deployment plans in GEP - Move from EMF to XMLBeans or JAXB?
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:52:15 GMT

On Feb 11, 2008, at 7:16 AM, Shiva Kumar H R wrote:

> I went through following tutorials of JAXB & XMLBeans:
>   a) Java Architecture for XML Binding (JAXB)
>   http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/WebServices/jaxb/
>   b) Tutorial: First Steps with XMLBeans
>   http://xmlbeans.apache.org/documentation/tutorial_getstarted.html
>
> Also searched for comparisons btw them. Latest one I could find is
> the following blog from Jan'2005: http://technology.amis.nl/blog/?
> p=321
>
> I am yet to see the value add JAXB brings over XMLBeans. Am I
> missing something?

My $0.02:

xmlbeans is a complete and accurate representation of the xml
infoset.  As a result, you can easily manipulate the xml, but you get
a slightly peculiar java object model that exactly represents the
schema and cannot be modified.

jaxb is focussed on the java pojos and lets you modify the pojos
considerably from the xml while still providing accurate mapping.
This can be much more convenient for directly constructing a pojo
tree from xml suitable for configuring server components.  It
provides fewer validity checks than xmlbeans.

Openejb is using jaxb and I think their deployment code is pretty
simple for the complexity they have to deal with.

thanks
david jencks