geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Entropy, or the heat death of the geronimo code base
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:07:03 GMT
A few years ago I read about an information based perpetual motion
machine someone came up with.  IIRC many people studied it for quite
a while before realizing that the flaw was an assumption that erasing
information was free.  It turned out to require the same energy as
apparently extracted from the machine.

By applying this "green svn" energy saving principle we have an
unparalleled opportunity to assure that future visitors to our svn
repo will have no way of finding the live code.

OR...

we could clean up the leftovers from completed refactoring efforts
and releases.

Here's the stuff I have located in a quick scan that I think has more
recent versions elsewhere or is completely obsolete and can be
removed, organized by last committer:

pmcmahan:

plugins/activemq
plugins/console
plugins/debugviews
plugins/jee-management
plugins/plancreator
plugins/pluto
plugins/system-database

djencks:
sandbox/servlet-2.5 (I'm not the last committer but did merge this
into trunk) (I've removed this)
sandbox/geronimo-jaspi (I merged this into trunk, and removed it)

jdillon

sandbox/g1.1-activemq4
sandbox/repository (did this make it into the wiki?  I'm planning to
propose using http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/
releasing.html as the basis for releasing g. stuff, is this relevant?)

dain:
sandbox/plugins/global-jndi (I'm pretty sure I've got this all into
trunk)

prasad:
sandbox/restructure

kevan:
sandbox/xsds  Didn't these get moved somewhere more appropriate?

rick:
sandbox/mail  (You had nothing to do with this, but could you look
and check if there is anything useful inside?)

alan:
sandbox/james (this appears to be a basically unmodified copy of james)

dblevins:
server/branches/jpa-plugin  (looks like a branch to play with jpa
that never went anywhere)
specs/branches/jee5-spec (See GERONIMO-2358 Not sure why this didn't
get removed.... or is my svn messed up?)

gnodet:
specs/branches/geronimo-servlet_2.5_spec-1.1.1
specs/branches/geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0.1

Does anyone have any clue what this is:

sandbox/spring-assembly (last modified 2006)

If you know about one of these and think it should stay please
reply.  If you know it should go you can remove it, tell me to remove
it, or do nothing and I will in a few days.

thanks
david jencks