geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: /lib vs /repository
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:23:36 GMT

On Feb 28, 2008, at 12:06 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Hernan Cunico
>> <hcunico@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> OK, any reason why we don't follow a similar dir structure as in
>>> the repo?
>> Good question! Perhaps because it's easier to make a single directory
>> with the minimum files in it and don't bother with the long-ish
>> paths.
>> Can't see any other reason as simplicity. On the other hand, one
>> could
>
> but we have
>
> ./lib/
>     + boot/
>     + endorsed/
>     + gshell/
>
> which it is not entirely flat.
> So it would seem to me that either way we could make some changes
> here to either make it really flat or consistent with the repo.
> Just a thought, but I think it would help make the things look more
> clear.

Lets not mess with it without clear understanding of what stuff is
there and why.  Making it flat would be fairly disasterous as far as
clarity and function.

Basically until you have a repository implementation available you
need a classpath.  The stuff that is needed to load the repository
implementations or needed in the application classloader go in lib/.
Lots of people have worked hard to reduce the amount of stuff needed
here but without some major gshell magic we're near the minimum now.

endorsed is a java feature for the yoko specs.  We could calculate
the locations in the repo and supply them on the ant "command line"
that gshell sets up but that would effectively remove the
plausibility of starting the server without gshell.  Moving the jars
into lib would make all of our startup jars in endorsed which would
be a really bad idea.

boot and gshell are for gshell.  Jason's working hard to move as much
of the contents as possible into the repo, but it's not trivial and
don't rush him.

thanks
david jencks