geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inclusion of MySQL in roller-mysql-database plugin
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:33:01 GMT

On Feb 9, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Kevan,
>
> I followed the discussion. You said that "Yes. The automatic
> download is the issue.". I don't think that is the case...I
> believe the "clear guidance" kicks in when we *ship* a distribution
> with some other license on that page. So i thought
> we should get clarification on that point.
>
> related question, Are we at this point picking/shipping either the
> plugin or the mysql jars into our distribution?

Hi Dims,
The roller plugins are not included in Geronimo 2.1. We will want to
release the roller plugin at some point. So, will need to clear up
this point before then.

Thanks for the clarification. So, is this your question?

****************

Is it ok to release an Apache product which will automatically,
without user prompting, download a prohibited work?

The product in question is the Apache Geronimo roller-mysql-database
plugin which has a dependency on a "prohibited work" (i.e. a MySQL jar
which is GPL with a FLOSS exception). The building of the plugin would
download a MySQL jar into a users maven repository. The MySQL jar
would *not* be included in the Geronimo roller-mysql-database plugin
binary. However, the subsequent installation of this plugin would
cause the Geronimo server to automatically download and install the
MySQL jar, without notifying the user.

*****************

IMO, the answer is no, you can't. Not by default and not without
notifying the user. Am happy to get clarification, if you (or anyone
else) think otherwise or aren't sure...

I think the basic options are:

1. Don't make roller-mysql-database part of the standard build (and
don't release a roller-mysql-database binary). The user can use a non-
standard build option to create the plugin, as long as he/she is
notified.
2. Make the roller-mysql-database part of the standard build, but
remove the MySQL dependency. This binary can be built and released by
our project. However, the MySQL jar must be installed -- either
manually by the user or by some tool which properly notifies the user.

--kevan