geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Entropy, or the heat death of the geronimo code base
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:47:13 GMT

On Feb 28, 2008, at 6:07 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> A few years ago I read about an information based perpetual motion
> machine someone came up with.  IIRC many people studied it for
> quite a while before realizing that the flaw was an assumption that
> erasing information was free.  It turned out to require the same
> energy as apparently extracted from the machine.
>
> By applying this "green svn" energy saving principle we have an
> unparalleled opportunity to assure that future visitors to our svn
> repo will have no way of finding the live code.
>
> OR...
>
> we could clean up the leftovers from completed refactoring efforts
> and releases.
>
> Here's the stuff I have located in a quick scan that I think has
> more recent versions elsewhere or is completely obsolete and can be
> removed, organized by last committer:
>
> pmcmahan:
>
> plugins/activemq
> plugins/console
> plugins/debugviews
> plugins/jee-management
> plugins/plancreator
> plugins/pluto
> plugins/system-database

These plugins were created at that location as a result  of our
discussions about organizing the various source trees.
http://tinyurl.com/2yakx6

But then later we copied those plugins into server/trunk in order to
make releasing 2.1 easier:
http://tinyurl.com/yw75fb

The only value I can think of in keeping those plugins around would
be if we want to use their svn & maven structuring to implement the
ideas we had discussed in the first thread.  I won't be up to that
task in the foreseeable future, so I'm fine with removing them unless
someone else wants to start that effort back up again.

Best wishes,
Paul