geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <>
Subject Re: Connector problems
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 13:39:35 GMT

On Feb 9, 2008, at 4:35 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I thought that I knew JCA pretty well.  What is a permit leak?

It's not an external JCA concept, but an internal implementation
mechanism. A "permit" is an acquired semaphore used to grant
permission to obtain a connection. In some exceptional cases, looks
like we weren't properly releasing the "permit". If you lose enough
permits, you stop handing out connections. So, things slow down a
bit... ;-) There might have been another problem adjusting pool size,
but I'm not sure. A bit hard to tease out from some code re-factoring

> Regards,
> Alan
> On Feb 9, 2008, at 1:22 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> Working with Tomasz Mazan we discovered that there was a permit
>> leak in the connector pooling code (GERONIMO-3834).  While fixing
>> this I revamped quite a bit of the pooling code and added several
>> permit count and resizing tests, hopefully making it more reliable
>> and reducing the bug count.
>> I think we should get this bug fix in g. 2.1 which will require
>> releasing the "components" jars also.  I'm OK with a vote on the
>> component jars + geronimo 2.1.

Agreed. I'll start pulling things together...

>> We might consider releasing 2.0.3 with this fix as well.

Possible. What do others think?

View raw message